Published on December twenty fourth, 2020
We’re now in an excellent place in Australia in our struggle towards COVID-19. When we wrote this, we had only a few lively circumstances and no neighborhood transmission. Plus, it’s summer time, and a vaccine doesn’t seem like too far-off.
After the yr we’ve come by, many of us in all probability wish to have fun huge this festive season.
Of course, it’s necessary to stick to the boundaries on the quantity of individuals who can collect in your state or territory. But eased restrictions across the nation do now enable for bigger gatherings with our household and associates.
As we get into the festive spirit, it’s necessary we additionally take into consideration how we will conduct this yr’s celebrations in a COVID-safe means.
Before we get to some suggestions, let’s recap a pair of the important thing issues we learn about how COVID-19 can unfold.
First, we all know shut contact is a significant danger issue for the unfold of COVID-19. This is as a result of droplet unfold performs a key function in transmission.
So for instance, when an contaminated individual coughs or sneezes, infectious droplets can land on you or within the atmosphere. Then in case you contact your face, or close by contaminated surfaces, you can introduce the virus into your physique by touching your mouth or rubbing your eyes.
In a confined area with poor air flow, there’s additionally growing proof COVID is unfold through airborne transmission, which is when droplets smaller in dimension (aerosols) cling round for longer within the air.
5 Tips To Reduce The Risk
- If there’s one factor we’ve learnt this yr, it’s that it’s not heroic to soldier on in case you’re sick. If you’re feeling unwell, keep at residence. This applies to you and your visitors. If you might be internet hosting and also you’re unwell, search for one other venue, or cancel
- Plan for an outside gathering — the danger of transmission is considerably decrease open air. We ought to take advantage of of Christmas falling in summer time in Australia
- If you’re internet hosting a gathering indoors, dine in your greatest room, or unfold everyone out throughout a couple of rooms. Open your home windows and doorways to let within the contemporary air and, importantly, improve air flow
- Avoid crowded seating on the desk. Set up a couple of further trestles or camp tables to area individuals out
- Encourage your visitors to carry out frequent hand hygiene. Stock up readily available sanitisers and soaps and have them available in all rooms and outdoors, particularly if persons are serving to themselves to meals.
And A Few Other Things …
If you’re feeling notably merry, chances are you’ll be tempted to show up the music and belt out a couple of carols. But bear in mind singing and shouting can expel extra infectious droplets than regular speech.
So in case you’re going to carry out a hearty rendition of Deck the Halls, maybe that is one thing to do exterior, not in a crowded room or close to meals.
Hugs And Kissess
No one desires to be a grinch at Christmas, however maintaining shut contact to a minimal — together with within the type of hugs and kisses — will assist cut back the danger. Under the mistletoe or in any other case.
Food And Drinks
Ideally, cut back the sharing of meals, together with issues like buffets. You may ask visitors to convey their very own meals, however this isn’t essentially sensible, or as festive. Given the low prevalence of COVID-19 in Australia, it’s in all probability cheap to cater on your visitors, so long as you’re cautious.
When you’re making ready meals, whether or not on your personal gathering or to take to somebody’s place, bear in mind to maintain up common hand hygiene. And keep away from making ready meals in case you’re feeling unwell.
With celebratory cocktails, champagne, beer, wine and tender drinks more likely to characteristic on the day, this may imply a lot of glasses mendacity round. It’s necessary for individuals to not share drinks. Using tags on glasses will help individuals bear in mind which is theirs.
Time for a game of yard cricket after lunch? The wheelie bin is OK to make use of as stumps, and over the fence continues to be six and out. But keep away from saliva on the cricket ball.
A Bit Of Balance
We’ve endured a yr of guidelines and suggestions to guard ourselves and others. Nothing has been regular this yr and our Christmas and New Year celebrations can also want a bit extra thought. We would possibly must provide you with some wise and sensible compromises in how we have fun.
Christmas gatherings do current a big danger — shut, extended contact with individuals, typically in confined areas. Time and time once more throughout 2020 we’ve seen these elements contributing to COVID-19 transmission.
We undoubtedly need to have some enjoyable over the festive season, and with COVID so effectively below management in Australia, we’re in an excellent place to have fun. But it’s nonetheless necessary we keep vigilant throughout this era, so we begin 2021 on the proper foot.