This article comprises The Falcon and the Winter Soldier Episode 6 spoilers and potential spoilers for the broader MCU.
Well, it’s lastly right here. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier episode 6 was an action-packed, however moderately messy season finale for the present. Hopefully it isn’t a collection finale, and we’ll see it proceed in season 2 as Captain America and the Winter Soldier, however that’s an argument for an additional time.
For now, we’re right here (as common) to dig in to all of the Marvel Comics and MCU references the present gave us this episode. We’ll be trustworthy, it was comparatively mild on these, however there’s nonetheless lots to take a position about. And if you happen to spot something we missed, remember to tell us within the feedback!
The New Captain America
- Sam’s extremely sharp-looking Captain America costume is an ideal reside motion translation of the model he wore within the comics. That costume was designed by Carlos Pacheco, and first hit the pages of Marvel Comics in October of 2014, in All-New Captain America #1. Even then, it felt like a wonderfully movie-ready design, however to see it translated to superbly to reside motion is an actual deal with, and that is a direct contender for “best superhero movie or TV suit” proper now. The further stars and stripes motif added to the underside of the wings right here appears to be an MCU flourish, however that’s only one little approach they managed to enhance on perfection.
- It’s protected to imagine that Sam’s new wings are vibranium, or a minimum of vibranium laced, similar to his defend, contemplating that it was made for him by the tech geniuses in Black Panther‘s Wakanda. There’s one thing to be stated right here about how America is stronger when it really works with and accepts assist from its allies, versus going it alone. Just witness how a lot better Sam’s wings maintain up underneath stress than Walker’s home made defend.
- Similarly, Sam primarily makes use of the defend and the wings for protection. Compare that to how Walker wields his defend, as a slashing/bludgeoning weapon for offense. It’s a pleasant illustration of two completely different interpretations about how finest to make the most of America’s energy.
- Bucky’s leap from a barrier-crashing motorbike in episode 6 is a pleasant callback to Steve’s very related transfer in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. As a voice barked “stand down” from a SHIELD quinjet, Steve hit a barrier on his bike and was thrown ahead into the motion.
- We additionally see Bucky straining to open the again of the van together with his vibranium arm, however he doesn’t flex as laborious as Steve did when he stopped Bucky taking off in a helicopter in that very same film. Both Sam and Bucky replicate parts of what made Steve an distinctive Captain America within the finale, and show to be a terrific crew.
- Bucky provides Steve’s pocket book to his therapist as a thanks present. Honestly, she deserves much less. It belongs in a museum.
- John Walker manages to regulate the consequences that the tremendous soldier serum is having on his psyche when he will get a second likelihood to show himself, dropping his broken makeshift defend and realizing he must prioritize human lives over vengeance.
- Val says that individuals will want a “US Agent” quickly, and never a Captain America, as issues are about to get “weird”. US Agent, of course, was the codename Walker took on after he stopped being Captain America within the comics. Speaking of which, Walker’s new costume is principally equivalent to his Marvel Comics US Agent costume and it appears to be like actually nice right here. We wrote extra concerning the Marvel Comics historical past of U.S. Agent right here.
- Why are Val, Walker and his spouse again within the courthouse the place Walker got court docket martialed to strive on his new US Agent costume? Feels like pandemic-related restrictions compelled the present to movie all these scenes on the similar time, doesn’t it?
- Sam returning to correctly be certain that Isaiah Bradley will get his due as soon as once more mirrors the wonderful Truth: Red, White, and Black story by Robert Morales and Kyle Baker. There it was Steve who made certain that Isaiah’s deeds had been lastly identified to the world.
- Hopefully this isn’t the final we see of Isaiah, however you possibly can wager we’re going to get extra of Elijah down the highway. Between introducing two members of the Young Avengers in WandaVision with Billy and Tommy, and the approaching arrival of Kate Bishop on Hawkeye later this 12 months, younger Elijah is because of get himself some crimson, white, and blue duds of his personal.
Sharon Carter is the Power Broker?
- Yes, Sharon Carter is the Power Broker. No, it doesn’t make an entire lot of sense. She took Sam, Bucky, and Zemo to see tremendous soldier serum scientist Dr. Nagel in his lab. He was working for her! She let that harmful shit play out, which was very a lot in opposition to her pursuits! What! No. What! The man should have been confused as hell in his closing moments.
- Sharon makes use of the identical tech that Natasha Romanoff used to disguise her face in the course of the climax of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- We discover out that Sharon was certainly behind Karli’s preliminary rise to Flag-Smasher energy, after taking her in and giving her an opportunity in Madripoor. Sharon is keen to forgive the betrayal if Karli and her buddies come again to the fold, however Karli’s too far gone for that.
- Sharon will get a pardon from the US authorities. I assume it wasn’t that tough in any case. Maybe you could possibly click on this hyperlink whilst you’re right here.
- Is this the primary time Sharon has been referred to as Agent Carter within the MCU? And is there some technique to carry Peggy again to kick her slender Power Brokering ass? How dare you besmirch the Carter title, lady.
- Sharon’s “mercury vapor” bomb that takes out that poor dude sort of feels just like the mud that the Red Skull used to make use of in the course of the Mark Gruenwald period of the comics to kill folks…which left them wanting like crimson skulls. Uh-oh…this brings us to the subsequent query…
- Who was Sharon calling on the finish? Val? Nick Fury? Her Skrull bosses? Alexander Lukin? Something is certainly incorrect right here. It’s doable that she’s working with Val to place collectively a crew of Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts, however nothing makes loads of sense with Sharon’s arc within the MCU usually, not to mention this present.
- That is certainly Zemo’s butler Oeznik (performed by Nicholas Pryor) who kills the fuck out of the Flag-Smashers within the police van with a distant managed incendiary gadget. What an Evil Jarvis. In any case, Zemo got a minimum of some of his want, as now there are just a few fewer tremendous troopers working across the MCU.
- Among the books that Zemo is studying in his cell is Alexander von Humboldt’s Views of Nature – the German polymath, geographer, naturalist and explorer was the primary particular person to really make observe of human-induced local weather change. But we will solely assume that the e book Zemo is holding near his coronary heart as he hears the destiny of the Flag-Smashers is the Machiavelli tome that Bucky rudely interrupted earlier within the collection.
- Despite the information saying that there aren’t any suspects within the Flag-Smasher bombing, Val is aware of immediately that it was Zemo who had “the last laugh”. Huh. “Couldn’t have worked better if I planned it myself,” she jokes. “Oh, well, maybe I did. No, I’m kidding, I didn’t. Or did I?” Who the hell is aware of, Val.
- Is Batroc useless? Batroc had higher not be useless! We demand extra Georges St-Pierre within the MCU! Ze Leaper has managed to flee sure dying a number of instances within the MCU to this point, and we’d like that pattern to proceed. He’s such a fantastic all-purpose, kinda hapless baddie, that we’d love to only see him present up for the occasional slugfest. Or hell, possibly a Batroc struggle is usually a sort of “right of passage” for anybody else who has to put on the Captain America costume down the highway!
And hey, he even did some leaping on this episode!